Check the Status of Your Case
How to Check the Status of your Immigrant (IV) or Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Application
You can now check the status of your pending Immigrant (IV) or Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) case online, by visiting the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website, and following the next steps:
- Log on to the following website: https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/.
- Under the category labeled "IMMIGRANT", click on the "Check My Visa Application Status" link.
- Enter your case number (it should be thirteen digits long, and will begin with three letters, such as BGH), and click the "Submit" button.
What does the case status mean?
When checking the status of your application online in the CEAC website, you will receive one of the following status indicators:
- Administrative Processing - This means your case is currently undergoing additional administrative processing, which must be concluded before a final determination can be made on your visa application. This processing stage can take several months to be completed. You do not need to contact us. We will contact you with further instructions once this processing stage is finalized.
- Issued - Your visa has been issued and we are preparing the return of your passport to you using the prepaid courier airway bill you provided to us during your interview. You will receive an email from us with your shipment tracking number as soon as your visa has been posted in the mail.
- Refused - Your visa application has been refused. Please see the letter you received during your interview, or by mail, for further details.
Please be advised that, due to the availability of this online status verification website, the Visa Section will no longer respond individually to status inquiries regarding visa cases.