Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Spouse or Child of a U.S. Citizen

IR1/CR1 – Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

IR2/CR2 – Child of a U.S. Citizen

Who is eligible?  U.S. citizens may be eligible to sponsor a spouse and/or children to immigrate to the U.S.  For children, the U.S. citizen must first determine if he/she can transmit citizenship to the biological child.  This process is handled by our American Citizens Services Unit – please click here for details.  If the child is determined not to have a claim to citizenship and the child is under the age of 21 and unmarried, he or she may be eligible to immigrate to the States under the IR2 or CR2 immediate relative category.   

How do I apply?  The U.S. citizen (also known as the petitioner) must first file an I-130 petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  A separate petition must be filed for each person immigrating.  U.S. citizens who temporarily reside in Iraq or live in the United States should contact their local USCIS office for further information.

What if I am getting married in Iraq and then plan to move to the U.S.?  If the marriage will take place in Iraq and the couple plans to permanently live in the States, the spouse of the U.S. citizen will require an immigrant visa.  Please note that the petition, Form I-130, cannot be filed until the marriage has taken place.

What if I plan to get married in the United States? If the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen intends to travel to the United States to marry and take up indefinite residence after the marriage, she/he will require a fiancé(e) visa.  Click here for more information on fiancé(e) visas.

What if I am married to an American Citizen and I am not planning to immigrate at this time?  What type of visa do I need to travel to the U.S. for a short trip and return to Iraq?  The spouse of a U.S. citizen who would like to travel to the U.S. and return to his/her permanent residence abroad may apply for a tourist (B-2) visa.  Please see the Embassy’s Non-Immigrant Visa webpage for further information.  

Click here for frequently asked questions regarding visas for spouses of American citizens.

Know Your Rights and Protections

  • U.S. law protects Foreign-Citizen Fiancé(e)s and Spouses of U.S. Citizens and Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents against domestic violence under the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA). 

    Please be sure to click here to learn more about your legal rights and protections.