Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Visitors for Tourism/Business (B visas)

An applicant who wishes to travel to the United States for business or pleasure, and intends to stay for only a limited period of time, should apply for a B-1 (Business) or B-2 (Tourism) visa.

A temporary visitor on a B-1 visa may come to the United States, for example, to consult with business associates, negotiate a contract, participate in a professional conference, or undertake independent research. On a B-2 visa, the visitor might go on a tour, visit friends and relatives, or receive medical treatment.

All travelers, including children, require their own visa applications.  All applicants between the ages of 14 and 80 require their own visa interview appointments.


How to apply for a Visa

1.  Complete the following application forms

2.  Pay the Visa application fee

  • Take your passport or a copy of your passport to any Al Warka bank branch office and explain that you want to pay a U.S. visa fee.  Please note that as of February 5, 2012, Bank of Baghdad will replace Al Warka bank as the official collector of U.S. visa application fees.  You will be able to pay your fee at any Bank of Baghdad branch in Iraq.  Any unused fee receipt from the Al Warka branch will still remain valid for one year from the date of purchase.
  • It is permissible for another person to make the payment for you, but they must take your passport or a copy of your passport with them.
  • Pay the $160 fee.  You will be issued a receipt.  This fee change will formally go into effect on April 15, 2012.  
  • Verify that your receipt for payment includes:
  • (A) The visa applicant’s name as it appears in her or his passport
  • (B) The visa applicant’s passport number
  • (C) The words “US Embassy MRV Sweep”
  • (D)  The payment must not be made more than 1 year before the visa interview

3.  Schedule an Interview

  • Please schedule an interview through the Online Appointment System.
  • Enter the confirmation code from your DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Select an available appointment date from the calendar.
  • Select a preferred time for your appointment, and then enteryour Surname (last name), Given Name, Passport number, Email Address and Telephone Number.
  • Verify that all the information entered is correct, and then click "Submit".
  • Print the appointment confirmation page and bring it with you to your appointment.

4.  Bring the following to your interview

  • Completed application forms
  • Original A, D, E, or G-series Iraqi Passport, valid for at least six (6) months after your date of travel
  • Photocopy of the Biographical Data page of the passport
  • Civil Identity card
  • Click here for more information about photograph requirements.  Photos must meet these requirements, or the application cannot be processed.
  • $160 Application fee, non-refundable and payable in the Consular Section at the time of the interview (U.S. cash only).  This fee change will go into effecto on April 15, 2012.
  • One (1) photograph, taken within the last six months
  • Pre-paid DHL Airway Bill (For more information about using DHL)
  • Documentation explaining the purpose of the trip, any arrangements to cover costs, and evidence of your ties to a residence outside of the United States. (*Evidence of your ties to Iraq may include work contracts, bank statements, proof that you own property, letters of employment, and prior passports showing previous travel history.)
  • If you are traveling to the U.S. on business, please provide a letter from your employer that explains the purpose of your trip, gives a detailed itinerary for your proposed length of stay, and indicates how the trip will be financed.

Processing Times for Applications:

Please schedule your visa appointment as far in advance of your travel dates as possible. Administrative processing of visa applications takes an average of six weeks.

NOTE:  To qualify for a visa as a temporary visitor, you must prove that you are not intending to immigrate to the United States. According to Section 214(b) of U.S. Immigration law, you can prove this by demonstrating strong ties to a residence abroad that you do not intend to abandon. Ties may include your job, family, or house. For more information, click here.

Attempting to obtain a visa by the willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or fraud, may result in the permanent refusal of a visa or denial of entry into the United State.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.